Northwestern provides a broad range of resources to help postdoctoral trainees integrate their personal and professional priorities as they pursue research excellence, including a dedicated Family Resource Liaison for individual work/life consultations. Key resources are highlighted below.
The Office of Postdoctoral Affairs also regularly organizes family-friendly events for postdoctoral trainees, including a family BBQ to celebrate National Postdoc Appreciation Week, winter holiday parties, and an annual town hall for postdoctoral trainees with children. Details about these events are shared in the OPA Wire and on the Announcements page of this site.
The Office of Work/Life and Family Resources
The Office of Work/Life and Family Resources provides a range of services to support the work/life and family needs of postdoctoral trainees, including workshops and resources on parenting and childcare. Schedule an individual consultation with Lesley Lundeen, the dedicated Family Resource Liaison, to learn more about the resources available to help you navigate your professional and family responsibilities.
Postdocs with Children Canvas Support Group
Lesley Lundeen manages a Canvas group to help postdoc parents and soon-to-be parents connect with one another and share resources and support. Learn about how to join.
Family and Parental Leave Policies
The leave policies available postdoctoral trainees at Northwestern vary according to appointment type:
- Postdoctoral scholars are eligible to receive the same leave benefits as University staff. More information on those policies can be found on the Human Resources website.
- Postdoctoral fellows are eligible to receive the leave benefits outlined by their specific grants and funding agencies. More information can be found in the Benefits & Policies section of the Office of Postdoctoral Affairs website.
- Questions about any these policies can be directed to email@example.com or the Office of Postdoctoral Affairs.
Child and Dependent Care ResourcesNorthwestern University provides the following resources for postdoctoral trainees seeking information on child and dependent care. Additional information can be found on the Human Resources website:
- Finding Childcare: Learn about area childcare centers, community resources, backup childcare options, and free childcare referral services.
- Paying for Childcare: Postdoctoral scholars at Northwestern can take advantage of a number of resources to help offset the cost of child and dependent care. The Office of Postdoctoral Affairs also provides a Dependent Care Grant program for postdoctoral trainees.
- Senior and Adult Care: Whether you are concerned about a senior or adult relative’s immediate needs, are interested in learning about resources, or are simply planning for the future, the Work/Life & Family Resources team is available to provide assistance, advice, connections, and resources to help you.
Lactation Support at Northwestern
To support postdoctoral trainees who are nursing, Northwestern University provides a number of resources and lactation rooms on the Evanston and Chicago campuses. More information, including a map of lactation rooms, can be found on the Human Resources website.