The Office of Postdoctoral Affairs partners with CIRTL at Northwestern to run quarterly “Mentoring Up + Down” workshops for postdoctoral trainees in all disciplines who would like to learn best practices to help them establish effective and productive mentoring relationships with their mentees (“mentoring down”) and with their mentors (“mentoring up”). These three-part training workshops are based on the “Entering Mentoring” curriculum developed by the University of Wisconsin at Madison and the Howard Hughes Medical Institute. Participants who complete all three sessions are eligible to receive a certificate from the Office of Postdoctoral Affairs. Sessions do not have to be completed in the same quarter in order to be eligible for the certificate.
The workshop schedule for Winter Quarter 2020 is posted below. Lunch is provided at every session, but registration is required. If you have any additional questions, please reach out to the Office of Postdoctoral Affairs for clarification.
Mentoring Up + Down Workshop Series
- First Session: Thursday, January 16, 12-2pm in TGS Commons (register here)
- Second Session: Thursday, January 30, 12-2pm in TGS Commons (register here)
- Third Session: Thursday, February 13, 12-2pm in TGS Commons (register here)
- First Session; Tuesday, January 14, 12-2pm in TGS Conference Room, Abbott Hall (register here)
- Second Session: Tuesday, January 28, 12-2pm in TGS Conference Room, Abbott Hall (register here)
- Third Session: Tuesday, February 11, 12-2pm in TGS Conference Room, Abbott Hall (register here)
Mentoring Workshop Lunchtime Discussions
Postdoctoral trainees who have attended one or more of the Mentoring Up + Down Workshop series are invited to attend monthly lunches with the Office of Postdoctoral Affairs to continue the conversation about mentoring with their peers, celebrate recent successes, and workshop any challenges. Dates for these lunches will be announced soon!