Postdoctoral Fellowship Opportunity - 3D/4D Characterization of Engineered Protein Constructs with Electron Microscopy
A postdoctoral research associate position is available at Northwestern University’s Department of Materials Science and Engineering in the area of protein development with novel functions by engineering protein structures with regulated conformational changes.
- The candidate will work in the group of Professor Vinayak Dravid toward the 3D and 4D characterization of structures and dynamics of fusion proteins, megamolecules and related complexes, primarily by cryo and conventional scanning transmission and transmission electron microscopy (S/TEM).
- Select experiments will be performed with fluidic-cell scanned probe microscopy (FC-SPM) to probe dynamic conformation changes and local nanomechanical perturbations.
- The candidate will work closely with NUANCE Center (awarded the NSF Center for Facility Excellence in the greater midwest), which houses the most comprehensive sample preparation and atomic-nanoscale characterization capabilities for soft, hard and hybrid structures.
- This research is part of an extensive cross-disciplinary and collaborative project across Chemistry, Biomedical Engineering, and Cell & Molecular Biology experts at Northwestern and University of Chicago. As a result, the candidate would have ample opportunity to learn diverse aspects of synthetic biology, simulation and imaging of unconventional molecules.
The preferred candidate will have a doctoral degree in Biophysics, Bioengineering, or in a related field. The preferred candidate will also have a proven track record and established experience in the areas of electron microscopy and imaging of soft matter. Experience should include extensive expertise and hands-on experience in cryo-TEM and in programming/software for the characterization and simulation of protein based structures.
- The position is available immediately for two years with the possibility for extension.
- Complete applications will include: Introduction letter, Curriculum Vitae, Research Statement, Contact information for 3 references (name, postal & email address, phone number).
If you are attending M&M in August 2018 and would like to meet with Professor Vinayak Dravid regarding this position, please email email@example.com to schedule a meeting.
Materials should be submitted as a single PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org.