Postdoctoral Fellowship Opportunity - Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology Jockey Club Institute for Advanced Study (HKUST IAS) is an organization dedicated to fostering research and creative activity at the highest level across a broad range of disciplines. Its programs support the activities of researchers, scholars, artists, and others in pursuit of their research and creative goals.
October 17, 2018
As part of its mission to nurture and develop men and women in the early stages of their academic careers, the IAS is inviting nominations for Junior Fellows. Junior Fellows are supported at the IAS to pursue their research unfettered by other requirements or responsibilities. Candidates should be of the highest caliber with demonstrated originality and clear potential for further significant accomplishments and leadership in their scholarly endeavors.
Candidates for the Junior Fellowship should have received a PhD degree or equivalent prior to September 1, 2018, and should be within 5 years of having received the degree. While not a requirement, graduate training from outside of Hong Kong is an advantage. Young researchers of all disciplines are eligible.
Appointments as Junior Fellows will be for a non-renewable 3-year term with a stipend of HK$585,000 (approximately US$75,000) per annum, with health and dental coverage provided. Additional funds of HK$60,000 (approx. US$7,690) per year are available for each Junior Fellow to support duty travel and other research-related expenses.
Junior Fellows are expected to conduct their work in residence at HKUST during the regular term time. Fellows may not be enrolled in any degree program and may not enroll in courses for credit. They are expected to devote their full efforts to their own research.
Should laboratory space be required, candidates may communicate their needs to the IAS after the nomination process. Laboratory requests will be met as much as possible at the HKUST.
Please see below for the notes about nomination and selection.
- The nomination process is rolling and ongoing.
- No self-nominations will be accepted.
- Please complete the online nomination form by filling in: name, title, current affiliation, email address of the nominator, i.e. yourself; the nominee; and THREE independent referees. The nominator cannot be one of the referees.
- Please send your letter of nomination (in PDF) to email@example.com preferably within 2 weeks of the submission of the online nomination form.
- IAS may contact your nominee to send his/her research statement and latest CV, and request the referees to send their letters of recommendation to firstname.lastname@example.org after receiving your letter of nomination.
- All notifications will be sent by email so please ensure the accuracy of all email addresses.
- In case the information submitted to HKUST IAS concerning the selection of IAS Junior Fellows is updated, please inform HKUST IAS by email at email@example.com as soon as possible.
- Only selected nominees will be contacted by HKUST IAS. Nominees who have been nominated but do not hear from HKUST IAS within 6 months after nomination may assume that they have not been selected.
- For inquiries, please contact HKUST IAS by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.