Postdoctoral Training Opportunity - Organic Synthesis and Material Characterization
Northwestern University and Argonne National Laboratory are seeking a postdoctoral candidate to work in the area of functional porous organic materials in the Northwestern-Argonne Institute of Science and Engineering (NAISE).
This position will focus on the development of a library of functionalized covalent organic framework (COF) materials along with characterization to elicit structure-property-performance relationships as they relate to pressure-driven membrane processes for water treatment applications. In addition to materials synthesis, analytical characterization skills are desirable as the candidate will work to understand, characterize, and optimize structure-property-function relationships. The successful candidate will collaborate with Dr. Lauren Valentino at Argonne National Laboratory and Professor Justin Notestein at Northwestern University.
This position will involve significant interaction between Argonne National Laboratory and Northwestern University, with the postdoctoral researcher holding a joint appointment with Argonne National Laboratory. The postdoctoral researcher will be expected to spend 2-3 days per week at Argonne. The position is open immediately and is funded for one year with the potential for renewal (subject to available funding and performance evaluation).
- PhD degree in chemistry, materials science, engineering or a related field
- Demonstrated experience in the design, synthesis, and processing of organic materials
- Experience with porous organic materials is desirable
- Knowledge and experience with characterization of materials by microscopy (SEM, AFM) or spectroscopy (IR, XRD) techniques
- Experience applying characterization techniques (AFM, N2 physisorption, contact angle) and interpreting data to understand structure-property relationships is desirable
- Additional experience with membrane technology ideal but not required
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English
Please submit a cover letter, a curriculum vitae (CV), and contact information for three references to firstname.lastname@example.org to apply.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Women, underrepresented racial and ethnic minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States.