Postdoctoral Training Opportunity - Vascular Biology & Neurosurgery
The Department of Neurological Surgery at Northwestern University is seeking an outstanding postdoctoral trainee for expansion of basic and translational studies related to the role of the Angiopoietin – Tie2 tyrosine kinase vascular signaling pathway in blood brain barrier function and cerebral edema after stroke and brain injury. This position offers the opportunity to work on a collaborative project between Dr. Matthew Potts, a cerebrovascular neurosurgeon with a background in brain injury research, and Dr. Susan Quaggin, an expert in vascular biology and director of the Feinberg Cardiovascular and Renal Research Institute.
For motivated candidates, this opportunity provides a nurturing environment for career development, a stimulating, multidisciplinary research community, and the potential for developing clinical therapeutics in stroke and brain injury. The postdoctoral trainee will be expected to build a publication record which includes submissions to leading journals, apply for internal and/or extramural funding, and attend national and international meetings.
Minimum Qualifications: PhD in vascular biology, neuroscience, or related field
- Experience working with small animal models
- Mammalian cell culture
- Ability to design and conduct experiments, maintain accurate GLP style recordkeeping, and collaborate effectively within a multidisciplinary team environment
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to prepare and present research at meetings and write scientific manuscripts in fluent English
- Expertise in one or more of the following:
- Vascular biology
- Tyrosine kinase signaling pathways
- Mouse genetics
- Mouse models of stroke, traumatic brain injury, or intracerebral hemorrhage
Interested applicants must send a current curriculum vitae (CV), a cover letter containing a short summary of research experience and aspirations, and names and contact information for at least three professional references to Matthew Potts (email@example.com).Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Women, underrepresented racial and ethnic minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States.