Postdoctoral Training Opportunity - Cardiac Electrophysiology
Applications are invited from interested candidates for a postdoctoral traineeship or research assistant professor position in a well-known cardiac electrophysiology laboratory at Northwestern University – Feinberg School of Medicine. The laboratory studies the mechanisms of heart rhythm disorders and uses large animal models to develop new gene therapy based approaches to treat atrial fibrillation (the most common heart rhythm disorder).
The candidate should have a PhD in a basic science discipline and a background in cellular and/or whole animal cardiac electrophysiology. Candidates with an MD degree who have experience in basic or translational electrophysiology research will also be considered. The candidate should be well versed in the following disciplines/techniques:Electrophysiological Techniques. The candidate should be well versed in at least one of the following electrophysiological techniques:
- Single cell electrophysiology (patch clamp) techniques.
- High resolution optical mapping (in Langendorff perfused intact hearts)
- Electrophysiological mapping in the intact heart in-vivo (e.g. high density epicardial or endocardial mapping)
Additional (optional) qualifications:
- Digital signal processing of biological signals with experience in programming in Matlab or related computer languages (e.g. IDL, Labview) is a plus.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Acquisition and interpretation of single cell voltage/current clamp recordings from isolated cardiomyocytes
and/or acquisition and interpretation of electrophysiological signals acquired during high resolution optical mapping
and/or performing high-density cardiac electrophysiology mapping (in-vivo) in large animals.
- Analysis and interpretation of cardiac electrophysiological data.
- Assessment of gene expression in the heart following gene therapy procedures. Gene expression will be assessed using standard molecular biology techniques such as PCR, western blotting, immunohistochemistry.
- Data analysis and manuscript preparation.
Interested applicants should write to:
Rishi Arora, MD, FHRS
Professor of Medicine
Director, Experimental Cardiac Electrophysiology
Northwestern University – Feinberg School of Medicine